September 11, 2005

Lashkar e Toiba attack : Five troopers killed, four injured in militant attack

Excelsior Special Correspondent

Srinagar, Sept 10: Three troopers were killed in a bloody attack on National Highway, Saturday, while as four others were injured, some of them critically. Two more troopers later lost their lives by touching a live electric wire during the operation, sources said. Lashkar-e-Toiba militant outfit has owned the responsibility of the attack.

As per the details, furnished by police and defense sources, militants in an ambush attacked an Army convoy on Srinagar Jammu National Highway near Awantipora in Pulwama district on Saturday morning. Sources said that at around 9:25 Am, when Army convoy on its way to Jammu from Srinagar crossed Awantipora Post office, militants appeared from a by-lane and attacked the convoy with two grenades followed by indiscriminate fire.

The grenades straightaway landed in one of the vehicles and exploded with a bang, due to which the driver lost control over the steering wheel and collided head on with an electric pole, sources informed.

Three troopers died on the spot, while as four others received serious splinter and bullet injuries, the sources said, adding that a live electric wire fell off the pole electrocuting two more troopers.

The deceased troopers have been identified as; Lal Mani Yadav, Vipin Kumar and Lakshmi Dhar. The electrocuted troopers were identified as Dilip Purshottam and Kailash Prasad.

Eyewitnesses said that troopers maintained a restraint and fired some rounds in air to disperse the people around. Later house to house search was conducted to nab the suspects. However, nobody was arrested till reports last came in.

Traffic movement was thrown out of gears for nearly one and a half hour on the National Highway and the shops and other business too was halted due the attack.

Sources said that the troopers of 61 RR were coming from Sonamarg after performing security duty during Amarnath Yatra.

Lashkar-e-Toiba outfit has claimed the responsibility of the attack.

The attack on the Army convoy came barely 12 hours after former Chairman of the Hurriyat Conference (Omar) Prof Abdul Gani Bhat said they will persuade gunwielding boys to give up the arms following successful first round of talks with the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.

This was also the second major incident after Hurriyat held talks with Dr Singh on Kashmir in New Delhi on September 5.

On September seven two militants made an abortive bid to enter the Civil Secretariat, seat of the Jammu and Kashmir Government. However, both of them were killed while one police constable lost his life and five others were wounded


Anonymous said...

Why don't we bring all our troups home and just bomb the crapola out of all of them once and for all?

Anonymous said...

Just get it all over with! Whats the f-in problem ? build bomb shelters in a safe location for the inocent people carefully screaned and the lower the big boomer on the ones left no more problems just get it overwith you stupid nemrods! Daah!