Skip to main content

Tehran and Ankara launch second round of energy discussions

Monday, August 13, 2007


ANKARA - Turkish Daily news


Despite opposition by the united States to an energy deal between Turkey and its arch foe Iran, Ankara and Tehran are meeting for the second round of discussions today in the Iranian capital.

Negotiators from Tehran and Ankara met in July to discuss technical details of signing an agreement on the transfer of Iranian natural gas. The Turkish delegation went to Tehran yesterday to continue the process, reported CNN Türk.

Tehran appointed Hojjatollah Ghanimifard, a well-known negotiator, for the talks. The negotiations will focus on prices, transfer, marketing, amount and the quality of the gas.

It is expected that the agreement will be finalized after the end of technical talks and after Energy Minister Hilmi Güler's visit to Tehran at the end of August or early September.

Turkey and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding to transport some 30 billion cubic meters (bcm) of Iranian and Turkmen natural gas to Europe on July 13. According to the deal, Turkey will also develop three Iranian gas fields.

U.S. officials criticized the Turkish move, which comes at a time when the United States is seeking tough sanctions on Iran for its alleged nuclear program and suggested the transfer of Turkmen gas via the Caspian Sea.



Turkey looks for alternatives:

On the other hand, Turkey tries to diversify the gas transfer lines and aims to be not just a transit state but also one involved in trading the commodity.

"In our energy policy, our aim is to implement agreements without disturbing or opposing anybody. Turkey is pursuing an active energy diplomacy not only on the East-West axis but also the North-South axis and has become an active player in the energy equation," Güler told Reuters last week.

Turkey wants to buy some of the 21 billion cubic meters of natural gas from Azerbaijan's Shakh Deniz gas field in its second phase of production, Güler said.

The gas fields are being exploited for a pipeline that will pass through Turkey to Greece and on to Italy.

Güler and Azerbaijani Energy Minister Natik Aliyev made progress in talks last week in Ankara on launching the second phase of production before 2012.

"The gas coming from Shakh Deniz will not only meet the needs of Greece and Italy but of Turkey, too," Güler told Reuters.

Production at the gas field in its first phase is expected to be 9.6 bcm from the fourth quarter in 2008.

Pipeline construction delays have slowed down the transport of natural gas to Europe, but Turkey has said Shakh Deniz gas will reach Greece by September 15. The pipeline will then be extended to Italy.

The 4.6 billion euros ($6.14 billion) Nabucco project, which aims to transport Caspian gas to Austria via Turkey and the Balkans, is seen as a way of reducing Europe's dependence on Russian energy after Moscow cut off supplies to Ukraine and Belarus in the past following political rows

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pakistani firm whose chemicals were used to kill US troops seeks subsidy for Indiana plant

By Jennifer Griffin, Justin Fishel
Published March 22, 2013


A Pakistani fertilizer maker whose chemicals have been used in 80 percent of the roadside bombs that have killed and maimed American troops in Afghanistan is now seeking U.S. taxpayer subsidies in order to open a factory in Indiana. 
The request appears to be on hold pending further review, but the situation has stirred outrage in Congress, where some accuse the Pakistani government of halting efforts to clamp down on the bomb-making. 
For the past seven years, the U.S. government has known that the raw material calcium ammonium nitrate, or CAN, is making its way across the border into Afghanistan where the Taliban use it to fuel their most deadly weapons, namely the improvised explosive device. IEDs have long been the number one killer of U.S. and coalition troops. 
The material largely comes from Pakistani fertilizer maker the Fatima Group. But the Pakistani government has stymied attempts by the Pentagon to stop the flow of the…

Menon meets Karzai, discusses security of Indians

Kabul/New Delhi/Washington, March 5 (IANS) India Friday said that the Feb 26 terror attack in Kabul will not deter it from helping rebuild Afghanistan as National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon met Afghan President Hamid Karzai in Kabul to review the security of around 4,000 Indians working in that country.

Menon, who arrived here Friday morning on a two-day visit, discussed with Karzai some proposals to bolster security of Indians engaged in a wide array of reconstruction activities, ranging from building roads, bridges and power stations to social sector projects.

The Indian government is contemplating a slew of steps to secure Indians in Afghanistan, including setting up protected venues where the Indians working on various reconstruction projects will be based. Deploying dedicated security personnel at places where Indians work is also being considered.

Menon also met his Afghan counterpart Rangin Dadfar Spanta and enquired about the progress in the probe into the Kabul attack in…

Revathi from Karnataka got selected in Civil Services

Miss. Revathi from Karnataka got selected in the civil services became IAS. Above is the picture of her house. She is the role model for everyone. Let's congratulate her.