October 31, 2011
By Shehzad Baloch
Published: October 28, 2011
Says she will commit suicide if her brother is not returned safely.
QUETTA: A 22-year-old resident of the restive Kohlu district threatened to self-immolate if her brother – who was whisked away by security agencies on September 20, 2011 – was not safely returned to the family.
Addressing a news conference at the hunger strike camp set up by the Voice for Baloch Missing Persons outside the Quetta Press Club on Monday, she said Sher Ali Marri went to Hyderabad along with nine other people of her family where he was picked up by security personnel near the Hydarabad “bakra mandi” (cattle market) and has been listed missing ever since.
“The authorities just kidnapped my brother and not the other people with him,” she told reporters.
The girl said that her brother had no affiliation with any political party or organisation and had never been involved in any illegal activities.
“He was the sole breadwinner of our family. I will commit suicide in front of the Balochistan Assembly by burning myself if he is not returned safely back to us,” she declared.
She asked the authorities to present her brother before a court if he was accused of any criminal offence. She also called upon the Supreme Court human rights organisations and the United Nations to play their role for the safe recovery of her brother and other missing Baloch people.
Responding to a query, Qadir Baloch, father of Jalil Reki – leader of the Baloch Republican Party (BRP), who has been missing for two years now – alleged that some people had threatened him to end the hunger strike camp.
“Two people came to the camp and even to my house and asked me to end the strike. They said they will kill my son Reki if I continue my hunger strike.
“This is the sole platform for the relatives of the missing Baloch people,” he said, adding that the hunger strike will continue until all the missing persons were recovered.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 28th, 2011.
Baloch Missing persons’ sister threatens self-immolation
Published: October 28, 2011
QUETTA - Sister of a Baloch missing person has warned that if her brother was not recovered, she would commit self-immolation in front of Balochistan Assembly.
Addressing a news conference at a hunger-strike camp organised on Thursday, she said her brother, Mir Ahmed Marri was allegedly abducted by personnel of security forces and intelligence agencies from cattle market Haiderabad on September 20 this year.
‘My brother is only breadwinner of our family. We have no information about his whereabouts since he went missing’, she said, adding, her family was passing through mental torture and worried about his life.
The woman said that her brother had never been involved in any unlawful activity and urged that if he had committed any crime, he should be produced before a court of law so that he could prove his innocence instead of keeping him in torture cells.
‘I will commit self-immolation outside Balochistan Assembly if my brother was not immediately recovered and government would be responsible for it’, she warned.
She appealed to the SC Chief Justice, Balochistan High Court CJ, UN, Amnesty International, European Union and Humans Rights Commission to play their role in the release of her brother and other Baloch missing persons.
She said they had been democratically struggling for the release of her brother and observing hunger strike camp and taking out rallies.
Meanwhile, the hunger strike camp organised by Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VBMP) outside the Quetta Press Club has completed its 543 days, but the relatives of missing persons say no measures have been taken on this humanitarian issue, while they continue to suffer.
Speaking to journalists, Abdul Qadir, Vice President VBMP said they had been threatened to end their strike camp or be ready for serious consequences.
Qadir whose son, Jalil Reki, has been missing since 2008 claimed more than 220 bullet-riddled bodies of Baloch youth, political workers, poet and writers had been recovered over past 16 months but government was doing nothing to investigate these killings.
He demanded of the Chief Justice and other humanitarian organisations for playing their role to stop killing of missing persons and alleged abduction of Baloch youth.