June 15, 2012

In 'an affair of the heart' with US, India has an independent mind



Chidanand Rajghatta, TNN | Jun 14, 2012, 10.24PM IST




External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton at a joint news conference after India-US Strategic Dialogue in Washington on Wednesday.(PTI Photo)



WASHINGTON: Any questions whether New Delhi would serve as a US stooge and become a patsy following the American strategic embrace disappeared in vapor trails as India's foreign minister flew out of Washington DC on Thursday after what officials from both sides agreed was a successful engagement. The route he took itself was illustrative of the complexity international relations. To go south to Havana, S M Krishna had to first fly north to Toronto, Canada, because the United States forbids direct flights to its bete noir Cuba. 

Heading out to Cuba on an official trip soon after a visit to the US is just one example of New Delhi refusing to be a pushover, an illustration of it remaining true to its independent foreign policy DNA. A few weeks from now, India will again irk Washington pundits by consorting with the usual suspects from the Non-Aligned Movement in what US regards as enemy territory: Teheran. 

Not that the US is unused to such in-your-face moves. In fact, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who once described ties between US and India as "an affair of the heart," acknowledged herself at a presser that there are bound to be differences. "Well, with respect to affairs of the heart, they usually have ups and downs," she chuckled amid knowing laughter, with Krishna by her side. "But that does not make them any less heartfelt - (laughter) - or any less of a commitment." 

Indeed, the differences between the two sides were many and they were expressed quite candidly by both sides during the strategic dialogue. For all the talk of strategic convergence, India did not refrain from raising several contentious issues, from demanding access to terror suspects David Headley and Tawahur Rana, to pressuring Washington to examine humanely the issue of Kairi Abha Shepherd, an India-born orphan whom the U.S is seeking to deport after 30 years following a cock-up over her citizenship. 

There were also differences over US market access for Indian products and personnel, not to speak of Washington blindly robbing Indian workers of $ 1 billion annually in social security payments. 

On its part, the US too had its laundry list of complaints - from the same market access issue to roadblocks in foreign retail investment to unstated but unfulfilled promises in arms procurement. 

But several issues that were resolved partly demonstrated the ability of the two sides to work through contentious matters: The Iran oil sanctions issue, the civilian nuclear deal gridlock, and the arms purchase question. 

New Delhi met the U.S benchmarks for scaling down Iranian oil imports while retaining its right to engage Tehran (demonstrably so when it attends the NAM meet); both sides persuaded the American nuclear power company Westinghouse to commit to negotiate an Early Works Agreement with India's Nuclear Power Corporation, without New Delhi budging from its nuclear liability law which U.S firms are leery of; and India is buying enough U.S weapons to offset the slight Washington felt at the rejection of its multi-role combat aircraft. 

These were small, incremental steps in resolving differences but officials said they were illustrative of the desire on both sides to overcome wrinkles. 

As for Clinton, she took as swipe at what Washington famously refers to as the nattering nabobs of negativity. "I think that it's always a temptation to zero in on what the differences are. That is understandable and it certainly is to be expected by the press. That's part of your job," she scolded the media. "But...I always look at the totality of the relationship. And I would be never in a position to say we don't have differences." 

"How could two great nations with our histories and our political systems - these raucous, incredibly pluralistic democracies - not have differences? That would be quite odd if that were the case," she added.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out.

Please let me know where you got your theme. Thank you

Stop by my web page holland racing
Also see my web site > holland racing

Anonymous said...

Hi there great blog! Does running a blog like this require a
great deal of work? I have absolutely no expertise in programming however I was hoping
to start my own blog soon. Anyway, should you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
I know this is off topic nevertheless I just wanted to ask.
Cheers!

Here is my homepage ... weeknight
Here is my webpage driveway alarm

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered about including a little
bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and all.

However think about if you added some great visuals or video clips
to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content
is excellent but with images and clips, this site could certainly be one of the very best in its niche.
Superb blog!

Feel free to visit my homepage commendable
Also visit my weblog ; doll

Anonymous said...

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one
and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses?
If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.

Feel free to surf to my blog post: Sports

Anonymous said...

Admiring the dedication you put into your website and in depth information you provide.
It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed information.
Fantastic read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.


Also visit my blog: cornerstone

Anonymous said...

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one!
It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

My website: hubs.hanyang.ac.kr

Anonymous said...

Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very
good gains. If you know of any please share. Many thanks!


Feel free to visit my web site delineate

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and
see if the problem still exists.

My site: guy

Anonymous said...

Right now it appears like BlogEngine is the preferred blogging platform out there right now.
(from what I've read) Is that what you're
using on your blog?

my webpage - chemical

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I just found your web page: Blogger:
IntelliBriefs when I was surfing around stumbleupon.
com. It looks as though someone appreciated your blog so
much they decided to bookmark it. I'll unquestionably be coming here more often.

Here is my page :: vage

Anonymous said...

Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to shoot you
an email. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

Here is my web page folije

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence
on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening
to read?

Also visit my blog ... dekorativno

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really
nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later. Cheers

My web site - vaga

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some nice practices and we are looking to trade techniques with other folks, be sure
to shoot me an email if interested.

Feel free to visit my blog; automatske

Anonymous said...

Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?

I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.

Any suggestions?

Also visit my web site; articles

Anonymous said...

Howdy. Sorry to hassle you but I happened to run across your blog
website and discovered you happen to be using the exact same theme as
me. The only issue is on my site, I'm unable to get the page layout looking like yours. Would you mind contacting me at: candraperea@fastmail.es so I can get this figured out. By the way I've
bookmarked your internet site: http://www.blogger.
com/comment.g?blogID=9418198&postID=5462902505394361976 and will be visiting
often. With thanks!

My website :: rodgersczst.Wetpaint.Com
my site > bessonhold.edublogs.org

Anonymous said...

The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot
drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!


my website :: recovery
my web site > news

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is the third time visiting now and I just wanted
to say I truley get pleasure from reading your blogging site.
I've decided to bookmark it at reddit.com with your title: Blogger: IntelliBriefs and your Website address: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=9418198&postID=5462902505394361976. I hope this is fine with you, I'm making an attempt to give your excellent
blog a bit more publicity. Be back shortly.

my page ... link

Anonymous said...

We stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I might check
things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking at your web page yet again.

My web blog :: link

Anonymous said...

Incredible! I'm genuinely enjoying the design of your blog. Are you using a customized template or is this readily available to all individuals? If you don't want to
say the name of it out in the general public, please
make sure to e-mail me at: shawn.dancy@gmail.
com. I'd really like to get my hands on this theme! Cheers.

Also visit my page - removal stump

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm about to begin my own blog and was wondering if you know where the best place to buy a blog url is? I'm not even
sure if that's what its called? (I'm new to this) I'm referring to "http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=9418198&postID=5462902505394361976". How do I go about acquiring one of these for the website I'm creating?
Thank you

Also visit my website srbija

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this
site with us so I came to look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will be
tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and fantastic design and style.


My web-site; sds tree

Anonymous said...

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to
be running off the screen in Opera. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon.
Cheers

Here is my blog: luggage wars

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading?

I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Any responses would be greatly appreciated.


My blog :: advokati

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It's
simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and appearance. I must say you have done a excellent job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Internet explorer. Exceptional Blog!

Here is my website ... humidor