November 10, 2012

No takers for Karnatak University Dharwad Sanskrit course

 




Srinivas Reddy, TNN | Nov 8, 2012

HUBLI: Sanskrit is considered the mother of all languages in India, but unfortunately it is being meted step-motherly treatment. The PG course on Sanskrit in Karnatak University, Dharwad (KUD), has had almost no takers this year. Worse, Sanskrit faculty in the department have been shifted to administration and sportsdepartment in the university. 

Against an intake of 10 students, this year only three students enrolled for the course. Earlier the Sanskrit department used to get around 9-10 students every year, but the number was steadily declining and it dropped to its worst count of three this academic year. B L Naduni, chairman, department of Sanskrit, KUD, said: "We enrolled five students last year while only three students have come this year in Sanskrit department." 

One of the main reasons why students are not opting for Sanskrit at KUD is its hefty fee. They find private colleges in Dharwad offering cheaper alternatives. The fee structure in KUD for Sanskrit first year PG is around Rs 18,000 but in private colleges it comes to less than Rs 10,000.

Earlier, most of the students from Dakshina Kannada used to take admission for Sanskrit in KUD. But after a local college in Kateel affiliated to Mangalore University began Sanskrit course, students from Sirsi, Siddapur, Kumta, Karwar and others parts of Dakshina Kannada are taking admission in that college. So there are very few takers for KUD's PG course, Naduni said. 

Then there's the problem of employment. Those who complete PG Sanskrit course have limited options. They can pursue career as priests or work as Sanskrit teachers in schools and colleges. 

Job opportunities for Sanskrit graduates are few and far between while there are more opportunities for students who opt for languages like Kannada or Hindi, said a Sanskrit lecturer from KUD, who didn't want to be named.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can certainly see your expertise within the
work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such
as you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.
My web site: health and beauty products

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something that helped me. Many thanks!
my site - auto insurance savings

Anonymous said...

Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this
website? I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers
and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
Feel free to visit my web page - saleswoman seo

Anonymous said...

Hello, yes this piece of writing is truly pleasant and I have learned lot of things from it regarding
blogging. thanks.

Have a look at my web page; make money at home online

Anonymous said...

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity about
unpredicted emotions.

Here is my blog post: small business credit

Anonymous said...

buy valium valium compared to xanax - buy valium diazepam uk

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan 2 mg vs xanax - lorazepam 1 mg reviews

Anonymous said...

My family every time say that I am killing my time here at
net, however I know I am getting knowledge all the time by reading
thes nice articles or reviews.

Check out my blog post: coffee flavor

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains the plan of a user in his/her brain that how
a user can be aware of it. So that's why this piece of writing is great. Thanks!

my web-site: http://onurbridals.com

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this site.
I'm hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal website now ;)

my site :: Save money

Anonymous said...

This is a really good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Brief but very accurate information… Many thanks for sharing this one.
A must read article!

my webpage :: children clothing distributor

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find well-informed people for this subject, but you sound like you know what you're talking about!
Thanks

Feel free to surf to my webpage click through the Up coming Webpage

Anonymous said...

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?

There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

my blog - http://www.greyscustomgold.com/no-fuss-secrets-for-modcloth-coupon-code-the-inside-track/

Anonymous said...

What's up, I log on to your blogs like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep up the good work!

Here is my web site - mouse click the next page

Anonymous said...

I am curious to find out what blog platform you are utilizing?
I'm having some small security problems with my latest site and I'd like to find something more secure.

Do you have any recommendations?

Feel free to visit my web site http://elkhart-realestate.com/online-clothing-store-and-its-uses/

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn.

This is a very well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

Feel free to visit my blog ... http://poll-fest.com/wiki/index.php?title=Treehugger_Clothes_For_Women

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting, You are an overly professional blogger.
I've joined your rss feed and look forward to in the hunt for extra of your wonderful post. Also, I've shared your website in my social networks

Feel free to visit my weblog: Learn Even more