January 21, 2013

US to continue drone strikes in Pakistan: Washington Post




Washington, Jan 20, 2013 (IANS):


 
US Central Intelligence Agency will be allowed to continue its campaign of drone strikes in Pakistan for a year or more under a new detailed counter-terrorism manual, according to a media report.

The detailed counter-terrorism manual which is nearing completion is designed to establish clear rules for targeted-killing operations, the Washington Post reported Sunday citing unnamed US officials.

However, a major exemption would allow the CIA to continue pounding Al Qaeda and Taliban targets for a year or more before the agency is forced to comply with more stringent rules spelled out in what was described as a counter-terrorism "playbook," it said.

The document, which is expected to be submitted to President Barack Obama for final approval within weeks, marks the culmination of a year-long effort by the White House to codify its counter-terrorism policies and create a guide for lethal operations through Obama's second term, the influential daily said.

Granting the CIA a temporary exemption for its Pakistan operations was described by officials cited by the Post as a "compromise that allowed officials to move forward with other parts of the playbook".

"The decision to allow the CIA strikes to continue was driven in part by concern that the window for weakening Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Pakistan is beginning to close, with plans to pull most US troops out of neighbouring  Afghanistan over the next two years," it said.

CIA drones are flown out of bases in Afghanistan. Among the proposed stringent rules are requirements for White House approval of drone strikes and the involvement of multiple agencies - including the State Department - in nominating new names for kill lists, the Post said.

None of those rules applies to the CIA drone campaign in Pakistan, which began under President George W. Bush, it said.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to grasp a lot about
this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something. I feel that you simply
could do with a few percent to pressure the message house a little
bit, however instead of that, that is wonderful blog.
An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

hardwood flooring

Here is my webpage :: hardwood floors installation

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any
problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was
hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no back up.
Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?


Have a look at my web page hardwood floors

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of
hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?



Look at my website - hardwood floors
Also see my web site: This Webpage

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on a beautiful mind
wiki. Regards

Feel free to visit my web site: http://floorhigh.posterous.com

Anonymous said...

magnificent issues altogether, you just received a new reader.
What might you suggest in regards to your publish that you just made some days ago?
Any certain?

Look at my web page - zetaclear side effects
my webpage > toenail fungus treatment

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

my web site; nail fungus zetaclear

Anonymous said...

Having read this I believed it was extremely informative.
I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this content together.
I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and leaving comments.
But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Review my homepage ... just click the up coming page

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button!
I'd most certainly donate to this excellent blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
Chat soon!

Also visit my homepage ... chicago housekeeping jobs

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this article and also the rest of the website is very good.



Here is my web page hair growth cycle

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an article he/she maintains the idea of a user in
his/her mind that how a user can understand it. Thus that's why this article is great. Thanks!

Here is my web-site :: buy wartrol

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you so much, However I am encountering problems with your RSS.
I don't know why I cannot join it. Is there anyone else having identical RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanks!!

My website - does phen375 work

Anonymous said...

That is really attention-grabbing, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and stay up for searching for extra of your magnificent post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks

my web-site does wartrol work

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually was a enjoyment account
it. Look complex to far brought agreeable from you!
However, how can we keep in touch?

Also visit my web page :: zetaclear review