Skip to main content

Asad Mengal, a Baloch missing for over 50 years under Pak's 'Kill and Dump' policy


Asad Mengal, a Baloch missing for over 50 years under Pak's 'Kill and Dump' policy

Balochistan [Pakistan], February 7 (ANI): The people of Balochistan have been victims of 'Kill and Dump' policy since the 1970s and Asad Mengal, who is the first victim of this policy, is missing for more than 50 years.
According to an article titled 'Tracing Pakistan's Kill & Dump Policy: remembering Asad Mengal and Ahmed Shah' by Naseer Dashti published in The Balochistan Post, the whereabouts of hundreds of people, who have been abducted by the Pakistani authorities under its 'Kill and Dump' policy, are unknown and the family members are waiting for any news about their loved ones.
The 'Kill and Dump' policy named by Amnesty International, began under the regime of General Pervez Musharraf has continued till now.
According to Dashti, the policy focuses on the detainment of Baloch activists, holding them incommunicado for an unspecified time during which they are subjected to torture, interrogation and execution and subsequent dumping of bodies.
"According to our own research at least 249 Baloch activists, teachers, journalists and lawyers have disappeared or been murdered between 24 October 2010 and 10 September 2011 alone, many in so-called 'kill and dump' operations," said Amnesty International (AI) in its 2012 briefing.
According to the author, though the number of victims of the kill and dump policy increased in the initial years of the 21st century, Balochistan had been a victim since the 1970s.
"A prominent casualty of the policy was Asad Mengal, the eldest son of Sardar Ataullah Mengal, who was the first elected chief minister of the province of Balochistan," Dashti said.
Asad Mengal and his friend Ahmad Shah Kurd disappeared on February 6, 1976.
Though the authorities refused to admit its role in their disappearance, the security agencies had accused Mengal of actually coordinating the resistance movement in central Balochistan while organising a political mobilisation against military operation in the region, the article stated.
However, Mengal and Shah's families have maintained their stance that the duo was "picked by the personnel belonging to intelligence agencies".
"They were ambushed in their car near Muhammad Ali Housing Society in Karachi. Gunshots were heard by eyewitnesses and the residents of the area, their blood was splattered all over the car, but their bodies were never found. At the time of their disappearance rumors circulated that they were killed at the spot and their bodies were taken away while others believed they were killed later in a detention center by the military," Dashti said.
The author further stated that while some Baloch leaders were released when the Bhutto regime was overthrown by the army in 1977, Mengal and his friend's whereabouts are still unknown.
Dashti said, "According to a Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir having close ties with the military establishment, he was told by General Tikka Khan who was the army chief before the appointment of General Zia that Asad Mengal and his friend were picked up by the army from Mir Balakh Sher Mazari's house in Karachi in 1976 and killed somewhere near Thatta where he was hurriedly buried. On February 20, 2012, a former chief of Inter-Services Intelligence agency (ISI) Lieutenant-General Hamid Gul acknowledged during a television talk show that Sardar Ataullah Mengal's son, Asad, was killed in an interrogation center during Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's era."
While 50 years have passed since the disappearance of Mengal and his friend along with hundreds of other Baloch people, only "some families have been fortunate to find the bodies of their loved ones on some desolate places". (ANI)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Menon meets Karzai, discusses security of Indians

Kabul/New Delhi/Washington, March 5 (IANS) India Friday said that the Feb 26 terror attack in Kabul will not deter it from helping rebuild Afghanistan as National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon met Afghan President Hamid Karzai in Kabul to review the security of around 4,000 Indians working in that country. Menon, who arrived here Friday morning on a two-day visit, discussed with Karzai some proposals to bolster security of Indians engaged in a wide array of reconstruction activities, ranging from building roads, bridges and power stations to social sector projects. The Indian government is contemplating a slew of steps to secure Indians in Afghanistan, including setting up protected venues where the Indians working on various reconstruction projects will be based. Deploying dedicated security personnel at places where Indians work is also being considered. Menon also met his Afghan counterpart Rangin Dadfar Spanta and enquired about the progress in the probe into the Kabul atta

Iran is losing the game to regional actors in its strategic depth

Rethink before It’s Too Late http://www.irdiplomacy.ir/index.php?Lang=en&Page=21&TypeId=15&ArticleId=7108&BranchId=19&Action=ArticleBodyView Iran is losing the game to regional actors in its strategic depth –Afghanistan. By Houman Dolati It is no more a surprise to see Iran absent in Afghanistan affairs. Nowadays, the Bonn Conference and Iran’s contributions to Afghanistan look more like a fading memory. Iran, which had promised of loans and credit worth five-hundred million dollars for Afghanistan, and tried to serve a key role, more than many other countries, for reconstruction and stabilization of Afghanistan, is now trying to efface that memory, saying it is a wrong path, even for the international community. Iran’s empty seat in the Rome Conference was another step backward for Afghanistan’s influential neighbor. Many other countries were surprised with Iran’s absence. Finding out the vanity of its efforts to justify absence in Rome, Iran tried to start its

Pakistani firm whose chemicals were used to kill US troops seeks subsidy for Indiana plant

By Jennifer Griffin, Justin Fishel Published March 22, 2013   A Pakistani fertilizer maker whose chemicals have been used in 80 percent of the roadside bombs that have killed and maimed American troops in Afghanistan is now seeking U.S. taxpayer subsidies in order to open a factory in Indiana.  The request appears to be on hold pending further review, but the situation has stirred outrage in Congress, where some accuse the Pakistani government of halting efforts to clamp down on the bomb-making.  For the past seven years, the U.S. government has known that the raw material calcium ammonium nitrate, or CAN, is making its way across the border into Afghanistan where the Taliban use it to fuel their most deadly weapons, namely the improvised explosive device. IEDs have long been the number one killer of U.S. and coalition troops.  The material largely comes from Pakistani fertilizer maker the Fatima Group. But the Pakistani government has stymied attempts by the Pentagon to stop the