Skip to main content

Suicide bombings cast doubt on China’s Pakistan projects

Suicide bombings cast doubt on China’s Pakistan projects

Sucide bombers targeted the convoy of Chinese nationals working in Gwadar port.Sucide bombers targeted the convoy of Chinese nationals working in Gwadar port. | Photo Credit: Reuters
Ananth Krishnan21 AUGUST 2021 21:52 IST
UPDATED: 21 AUGUST 2021 22:59 IST

On Friday, a motorcade carrying Chinese personnel working at the East Bay Expressway project in Gwadar, was attacked by a suicide bomber

Two suicide bombings in the space of just over one month have cast doubt on the future of China’s ambitious projects in Pakistan and neighbouring Afghanistan, with renewed concerns over the safety of Chinese personnel in the region.

On Friday, a motorcade carrying Chinese personnel working at the East Bay Expressway project in Gwadar, the Arabian Sea port where the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) ends, was attacked by a suicide bomber, Pakistani and Chinese officials said, with two local children killed and one Chinese worker injured. This followed another bomb attack on July 14 targeting Chinese workers at the Dasu hydropower project, that killed 13 people including nine Chinese nationals.

The attacks prompted an unusual statement from Chinese authorities on Friday. "Recently, the security situation in Pakistan has been severe,” the Chinese Embassy in Islamabad said, adding that it "launched the emergency plan immediately, demanding Pakistan to properly treat the wounded, conduct a thorough investigation on the attack, and severely punish the perpetrators.”


"At the same time, relevant departments at all levels in Pakistan must take practical and effective measures to accelerate to implement strengthened whole-process security measures and upgraded security cooperation mechanism to ensure that similar incidents will not happen again,” the statement said, noting “there have been several terrorist attacks in succession, resulting in the casualties of several Chinese citizens.”

Pakistani authorities in a statement said "the bomber targeted the convoy of Chinese nationals comprising four Chinese vehicles with integral security details of the Pakistan Army and police contingent on the East Bay Expressway near Fishermen Colony in Gwadar.” “A young boy ran out of the colony once the convoy reached there to target Chinese vehicles. Fortunately, soldiers of the Pakistan Army in plain clothes employed as hanging around security rushed to intercept the boy; who immediately exploded himself about 15-20 meters away from the convoy,” said a statement reported by the Press Trust of India.

The July 14 attack had already deepened concerns among Chinese companies and workers, particularly amid the instability in neighbouring Afghanistan and the Taliban takeover. Workers for Chinese companies involved in the Dasu project were "reportedly on tenterhooks and fearful of another terrorist attack,” the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported, quoting a local interpreter for one Chinese firm as saying "Pakistani mobile army units only provided protection to Chinese staff travelling between the Barseen residential camp and the hydropower project’s various sites outside Dasu town in the remote Kohistan region."

"Without consistent army protection at the worksites, senior executives of the Chinese firms have reportedly refused to put their staff at risk and ordered a go-slow,” the interpreter said, while Arif Yousafzai, deputy commissioner for Lower Kohistan district, said “full-fledged activities are yet to be resumed” although “the work has not been stopped completely”.

Many Chinese projects in Afghanistan have also been on pause. While China on Monday was among the first major countries to say it “stands ready” to work with Afghanistan in the wake of the Taliban takeover and Chinese state media have celebrated the U.S. exit, there are long-persisting concerns among Chinese officials over the Taliban’s links to jihadist groups going back to the 1990s that “very much remain”, said Andrew Small, senior fellow at the German Marshall Fund and author of “The China Pakistan Axis”.

“If you've seen the recent developments with CPEC and the Chinese investments in Pakistan, there's been far more anxiety about the security situation there in the last few months than in the last few years,” Mr. Small told The Hindu. “They're concerned that effectively, Afghanistan could be used as strategic depth for the Pakistani Taliban, and that that would have implications for their investments and security interests in the country. The attack that we saw a few weeks ago was probably the largest loss of life you've seen in a terrorist attack on Chinese personnel in Pakistan, full stop.”

Most Chinese experts have blamed the July 14 attack on the Pakistani Taliban or TTP. Authorities in Pakistan claimed the attack was "executed by the Swat chapter of TTP”, saying the attacker was "trained in Afghanistan”. Pakistan’s officials including the Foreign Minister claimed the attacker "received support from Indian and Afghan intelligence agencies”, claims which New Delhi rubbished as “absurd” and “yet another attempt by Pakistan to malign India in a bid to deflect international attention from its role as…a safe haven for proscribed terrorists”.

Pakistan’s claims haven’t received wide attention in the Chinese press, and the Chinese Foreign Ministry in a statement on August 13, in response to queries about the claims, stopped short of directly endorsing the allegation. It said “further investigation by Pakistan is still ongoing at the moment” and China "firmly opposes any force using terrorism to seek geopolitical gains”.

China on July 28 invited a delegation from the Taliban and sought a commitment from the grouping to “make a clean break” with jihadist groups, although some Chinese analysts remain skeptical of that likelihood. Nevertheless, some Chinese companies have expressed hope, regardless of China’s past concerns, that the Taliban takeover might bring stability if the civil war ends.

“While some Chinese companies are involved in several major projects in Afghanistan, including the Aynak Copper Mine project, which is the second-largest copper mine in the world, many have been stalled or seen slow progress due to political instability in the country,” the Communist Party-run Global Times reported. "With a major political shift, some believe that there could be a chance for those projects to resume,” the newspaper said.

"We would consider reopening it after the situation is stabilised, and international recognition, including the Chinese government's recognition of the Taliban regime, takes place," a source at China Metallurgical Group Corporation told the paper, which noted that the group won the right to mine its deposits for 30 years and signed a contract in 2008 but the project was yet to start operation. According to the paper, Chinese companies had contracts for projects worth $110 million in Afghanistan as of 2020 but "because of social instability, several large projects in the country have been suspended”.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/suicide-bombings-cast-doubt-on-chinas-pakistan-projects/article36037023.ece


Comments

Lebanon Girls said…
Escort Lebanon are very popular and famous, due to which people come here from different corners of the world.Here you can hire an Escort in Lebanon according to your budget for a long time. You can spend your time with these girls in your own booked hotel or escort’s hotel.
Click Here -- Escort Lebanon
Click Here -- Escorts in Lebanon
Click Here -- Lebanon Escort
Click Here -- Lebanon Escorts
Click Here -- Escorts Lebanon
Lebanon Girls said…
There are many such people who are fond of extreme and physical pleasure and do not want to miss such an opportunity at any cost. These types of people are always in search of this happiness. Escorts Lebanon girls are really very beautiful, hot and sexy, so they make you pleased and satisfied after offering their services to you. That's why I love to date Lebanon Escorts for my pleasure needs.
Escorts in Lebanon
Lebanon Escort
Escort in Lebanon
Escort Lebanon

Popular posts from this blog

Menon meets Karzai, discusses security of Indians

Kabul/New Delhi/Washington, March 5 (IANS) India Friday said that the Feb 26 terror attack in Kabul will not deter it from helping rebuild Afghanistan as National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon met Afghan President Hamid Karzai in Kabul to review the security of around 4,000 Indians working in that country. Menon, who arrived here Friday morning on a two-day visit, discussed with Karzai some proposals to bolster security of Indians engaged in a wide array of reconstruction activities, ranging from building roads, bridges and power stations to social sector projects. The Indian government is contemplating a slew of steps to secure Indians in Afghanistan, including setting up protected venues where the Indians working on various reconstruction projects will be based. Deploying dedicated security personnel at places where Indians work is also being considered. Menon also met his Afghan counterpart Rangin Dadfar Spanta and enquired about the progress in the probe into the Kabul atta

Iran is losing the game to regional actors in its strategic depth

Rethink before It’s Too Late http://www.irdiplomacy.ir/index.php?Lang=en&Page=21&TypeId=15&ArticleId=7108&BranchId=19&Action=ArticleBodyView Iran is losing the game to regional actors in its strategic depth –Afghanistan. By Houman Dolati It is no more a surprise to see Iran absent in Afghanistan affairs. Nowadays, the Bonn Conference and Iran’s contributions to Afghanistan look more like a fading memory. Iran, which had promised of loans and credit worth five-hundred million dollars for Afghanistan, and tried to serve a key role, more than many other countries, for reconstruction and stabilization of Afghanistan, is now trying to efface that memory, saying it is a wrong path, even for the international community. Iran’s empty seat in the Rome Conference was another step backward for Afghanistan’s influential neighbor. Many other countries were surprised with Iran’s absence. Finding out the vanity of its efforts to justify absence in Rome, Iran tried to start its

Pakistani firm whose chemicals were used to kill US troops seeks subsidy for Indiana plant

By Jennifer Griffin, Justin Fishel Published March 22, 2013   A Pakistani fertilizer maker whose chemicals have been used in 80 percent of the roadside bombs that have killed and maimed American troops in Afghanistan is now seeking U.S. taxpayer subsidies in order to open a factory in Indiana.  The request appears to be on hold pending further review, but the situation has stirred outrage in Congress, where some accuse the Pakistani government of halting efforts to clamp down on the bomb-making.  For the past seven years, the U.S. government has known that the raw material calcium ammonium nitrate, or CAN, is making its way across the border into Afghanistan where the Taliban use it to fuel their most deadly weapons, namely the improvised explosive device. IEDs have long been the number one killer of U.S. and coalition troops.  The material largely comes from Pakistani fertilizer maker the Fatima Group. But the Pakistani government has stymied attempts by the Pentagon to stop the